- A Melbourne imam who married off a child bride has escaped a prison sentence
- Ibrahim Omerdic, 62, married off a 14-year-old to a 34-year-old man last year
- He was suspended as an imam of the Bosnian Islamic Society and Mosque
- He was sentenced to two months’ prison but released on a good behaviour bond
- Prosecutors pushed for a prison sentence as a precedent against child weddings
A former Muslim imam who married off a 14-year-old girl to a 34-year-old man has escaped jail time and placed on a good behaviour order.
Ibrahim Omerdic, 62, was found guilty of solemnising the marriage of the teenage girl and a man, 34, during a ceremony in Noble Park, Melbourne, last September.
Magistrate Phillip Goldberg on Wednesday sentenced Omerdic to two months’ prison for his ‘serious breach of trust’ but released him immediately on a two-year recognisance release order.
Omerdic was an imam of the Bosnian Islamic Society and Noble Park Mosque, but he was suspended after his November arrest over the wedding…
- Nine + Seven News. Imam Charged Over Marrying Child Bride.