DUBAI, United Arab Emirates (AFP) — At least 56 people have drowned over the past 24 hours, and dozens remain missing, after human traffickers forced 300 African migrants off two Yemen-bound boats and into the sea.
Survivors — all Ethiopian and Somali migrants — managed to make their way to Shabwa, a southern province along Yemen’s Arabian Sea coastline, the International Organization for Migration said.
The war in Yemen has left over 8,300 people dead and displaced millions since 2015, but the impoverished country continues to draw migrants from the Horn of Africa seeking work in prosperous Gulf countries further north.
At least six people drowned on Thursday after human smugglers forced 180 Ethiopians off their boat and into the choppy waters of the Arabian Sea, an IOM spokesperson told AFP.
Thirteen people remained unaccounted for, the spokesperson said. The majority of the migrants appeared to be teenagers and young adults.
On Wednesday, traffickers also forced more than 120 Somali and Ethiopian migrants into the rough seas off Yemen to avoid arrest by local authorities, leaving at least 50 dead and 22 missing, IOM reported…
- At Least 56 People Dead As Smugglers Throw 300 Migrants Into Yemen Sea
As long as we spread signals of hope towards these people wanting to get over to Europe AND as long as we keep allowing them to stay AND as long as we keep “saving” them by picking them up (and bringing these migrants to Europe, where they’re heading for), they will keep coming AND smugglers will stay active because money talks…
- Stop giving hope
- Stop picking up, unless throwing back to Africa
- Sink off all smugglers boats
- TheNGO’s are real criminals commiting WHITE GENOCIDE on Europe’s people!!!
THEN the migration and therefore drownings will stop!
- UN: Smugglers throw 280 migrants into the sea off Yemen
- On board an armed smugglers’ boat with Iraqi and Syrian refugees
- Muslims throw 12 Christians overboard in religious clash on migrant boat in Mediterranean sea
- NGOs Collude With People Traffickers To Smuggle Illegal Migrants Across Mediterranean Into Italy