Explosion at St Petersburg Metro Station in Russia 50 injured and 10 have died

Ten people have been killed in an explosion on the metro in the Russian city of St. Petersburg, state-run media TASS reported.

Around 50 others were injured, the governor’s office said. The incident forced the shutdown of the entire metro system in St Petersburg, Russia’s second-biggest city.

The explosion took place on a subway car as the train was in a tunnel between the Sennaya Ploshchad and Tekhnologichesky Institute stations.

President Vladimir Putin has been informed of the incident in Russia’s second largest city where he was meeting with Belarussian leader Alexander Lukashenko.

He said the cause is not clear and he was considering all possibilities, including terrorism.

The Russian leader expressed his condolences and said he had spoken to the heads of the security services.

He added: “The city authorities, and, if required, the federal authorities, will take all necessary measures to support the families of those killed and those injured.”

Moscow’s metro system has also been shut down as a precaution, while the rest of Russia in on high alert.

The US Embassy in Russia has expressed its condolences.

A tweet in Russian, said: “Shocked and saddened by explosions in St Pete and the resulting deaths and injuries.

“Our hearts go out to victims and families.”

This is the first explosion on a Russian train since December 2013 when a suicide bomber killed 18 people and injured 44 at Volgograd-1 station in the city of Volgograd.

A huge hole was blasted in the side of one carriage with mangled metal wreckage strewn around the platform. Passengers were seen hammering at the windows of one closed carriage.

Authorities closed all St. Petersburg metro stations. The Moscow metro said it was taking unspecified additional security measures in case of an attack there.Russia has been the target of attacks by Chechen militants in past years. Chechen rebel leaders have frequently threatened further attacks.

Putin said it was “too early to say” what caused the blast but that it could be “criminal or terrorist”. Putin said he had already spoken with the director of the FSB security services and other law enforcement agencies.

For many years, Russia suffered frequent terror attacks from Islamist groups based in the North Caucasus, including blasts on the Moscow metro in 2010. However, since a suicide bomber struck at Domodedovo airport in January 2011, attacks have largely been confined to the North Caucasus itself.

Since Russia entered the war in Syria, a number of Islamic State propaganda outlets have said the country would be a target. However, there was no immediate claim of responsibility for the explosion.

Straight from (thanks to) JihadWatch by Robert Spencer;

Islamic State celebrates St. Petersburg attack: “A metro to hell for the worshipers of the Cross”

“We ask Allah to bless the operation by the lions of the Caliphate, we ask Allah to kill the Crusaders…a metro to hell for the worshipers of the Cross.”

Once again we see that the Islamic State casts its conflict with the nations of the world solely in Islamic terms. It has never done anything else. Yet in examining its motivations and ideology, Western analysts routinely dismiss Islam as a factor.

“ISIS Celebrates St. Petersburg Metro Blast That Killed 10,” by Shira Rubin and Gilad Shiloach, Vox, April 3, 2017:

ISIS supporters are celebrating two explosions on St. Petersburg subways that have killed at least 10 people and injured at least 20, according to Russian media reports.

“We ask Allah to bless the operation by the lions of the Caliphate, we ask Allah to kill the Crusaders,” said an ISIS supporter from the terror group’s al-Minbar online forum. Others celebrated by saying that the Monday bombs made for “a metro to hell for the worshipers of the Cross” and claimed that the attacks — which are still under investigation by Russian authorities — were revenge for Russia’s backing of Syrian President Bashar al-Assad, who is fighting against ISIS and other rebel groups in a six-year-long civil war. Russian airstrikes and shelling in Syria have killed hundreds of people and reduced entire areas to rubble…

15:25

  • Another bomb ‘found and deactivated’ at Metro station

After earlier reports that another unexploded device had been found on the St Petersburg Metro system, a Russian anti-terrorism committee has said that officials have found and deactivated the other bomb.

14:45

  • Explosion is terrorist attack, official says

The Russian prosecutor general has called the St Petersburg explosion a terrorist attack.

14:25

  • Another unexploded device reportedly found on Metro network

A source in the emergency services has reported that only one blast occurred, instead of the two initially reported, reports Roland Oliphant.

The home made device was thought to be equivalent to 200 grams of TNT and was placed on the carriage.

Another unexploded device has been found on the St Petersburg metro system, Russian agencies report.

“A bomb that failed to go off was found at Vosstanaya Square metro station,” Interfax reported citing an anonymous source. Police have not confirmed the report.

Sources:

Last Update 4/4;

St. Petersburg jihad murderer is Muslim from Kyrgyzstan, Akbarzhon Jalilov

April 4, 2017 By Robert Spencer

The Telegraph says: “No group has yet claimed responsibility for the attack and the suspect’s motives remain unclear.”

The Telegraph, like other establishment media outlets, is a wretched propaganda sheet determined to mislead the public into thinking that Islamic jihad terror is not as much of a problem as it actually is.

“Who is St Petersburg bombing suspect Akbarzhon Jalilov?,” by James Rothwell, Telegraph, April 4, 2017:

Russia’s investigative committee has named the St Petersburg metro bomb attacker as Akbarzhon Jalilov, a 22-year-old man from the Central Asian country of Kyrgyzstan.

The confirmation came after Kyrgyzstan’s security services, who said they are “maintaining contact with the Russian secret service for further investigation,” named Jalilov as a suspect this morning.
Earlier Russian investigators refused to confirm the report, saying that although they have established the identity of the attacker, whose remains they found at the scene of the blast, it would be “premature” to name the suspect publicly.
Who is he?
Akbarzhon Jalilov was born on April 1, 1995. Kyrgyzstan’s security services say he is from the city of Osh.

Unconfirmed reports in local media say he moved to St Petersburg with his parents in 2011, and remained in the city after they later returned to Osh.

Very little is known about Jalilov’s background before he carried out the attack.

Unconfirmed reports in Russian media said he worked for some years as a sushi chef in a St Petersburg restaurant and was a martial arts fan, citing a profile on Vkontakte, a Russian social network…

readmore>>
jihadwatch

Article closed.

Geef een reactie

Vul je gegevens in of klik op een icoon om in te loggen.

WordPress.com logo

Je reageert onder je WordPress.com account. Log uit / Bijwerken )

Twitter-afbeelding

Je reageert onder je Twitter account. Log uit / Bijwerken )

Facebook foto

Je reageert onder je Facebook account. Log uit / Bijwerken )

Google+ photo

Je reageert onder je Google+ account. Log uit / Bijwerken )

Verbinden met %s